Castro on first case of COVID-19 in Kane County: Live your daily life, but take steps to protect yourself and others
- Details
- Category: News
ELGIN – Today, Gov. Pritzker announced the first two cases of coronavirus in the state outside of Cook County. One of the two cases is in Kane County.
“I have been in contact with the governor, the Department of Public Health (IDPH) and other health officials about what the next step will be in containment and what we can do to protect our most vulnerable residents,” Castro said. “I advise everyone in Kane County and throughout Illinois to continue to take the steps recommended by the Department of Public Health to keep themselves and everyone around them as safe and healthy as possible.”
IDPH recommends that everyone:
- Wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with sick people who have respiratory symptoms.
- Stay home when sick.
- Cover their cough or sneeze with a tissue and then immediately throw it away.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Discuss the influenza vaccine with their medical provider if they have not already gotten a flu shot.
Additional recommendations for preventing the spread of COVID-19 in communities, at home, in schools, at work and in long-term care facilities is available on IDPH’s website.
Castro announces open application period for $80 million in local economic development grants
- Details
- Category: News
SPRINGFIELD – State Senator Cristina Castro (D-Elgin) announced Tuesday that local governments and community groups are now able to apply for a portion of nearly $80 million grant to update critical infrastructure and spur economic development.
“With these grants, Illinois is investing in its residents,” Castro said. “When new economic development and jobs are created in our local communities the entire state benefits.”
The Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) will allow communities and stakeholders to apply for these funds. It will distribute the funds to local governments, not-for-profits, economic development groups and even private businesses, which will create new job and economic opportunities.
DCEO has allocated $50 million for public infrastructure investments (available only to local governments), $16.5 million for regional economic development projects and $13 million ready-to-go for construction projects. Potential projects also include improvements to utility lines and waste disposal systems, land and building acquisition, and architectural planning and engineering design.
Applications for public infrastructure grants must be submitted by June 30, but others will be accepted on a rolling basis. Available grants, project guidelines and application materials can be found here.
For additional information on these funds, prospective applicants can visit DCEO’s website here. Interested parties can send questions to
Castro: The era of legislators taking advantage of the system is over
- Details
- Category: News
SPRINGFIELD – A measure to close a compensation loophole often exploited by lawmakers was moved through committee Wednesday by its sponsor, State Senator Cristina Castro (D-Elgin).
“The era of legislators taking advantage of the system to the detriment of taxpayers is over,” Castro said. “This is long overdue and I’m proud to be the one fighting to end this practice.”
Senate Bill 2456 closes a glaring loophole in legislator pay laws, which currently allow for a retiring lawmaker to delay leaving office until the first of the month but still earn pay for the entire month. The practice has long been questioned, but fell under particularly harsh scrutiny last year when two disgraced former lawmakers used the loophole to receive extra pay following their resignation after being indicted for federal crimes.
Under Castro’s bill, legislators would only be compensated for the days they hold office.
“If we have a system in place which allows those who abused their office and betrayed their constituents to still benefit, then all that does is further erode the trust the public has in their elected officials,” Castro said.
The legislation, which has the support of Comptroller Susanna Mendoza, passed the Senate Executive Committee without opposition and awaits further consideration before the full Senate.
Castro looks to expand care for individuals with developmental disabilities
- Details
- Category: News
SPRINGFIELD – A pilot program meant to provide supervision and care to adults and children with developmental disabilities will be expanded and made permanent under a measure sponsored by State Senator Cristina Castro (D-Elgin).
“Taking care of an individual with developmental disabilities can be a real challenge and many families across the state struggle to do so,” Castro said. “The pilot program proved to be successful in providing services to those in Illinois who really needed it, which is why it should be made permanent and expanded to provide even more assistance.”
Senate Bill 3416 removes the pilot designation from what will be known as the Voucher Respite Program. Under the program, the Department of Human Services issues vouchers to participating families, which can be used to purchase services meant to provide supervision and care to individuals with developmental disabilities. The bill also removes the provider limit and expands the number of entities who may administer the program.
“Under this expansion, we’re increasing the number of families who have access to services and providing them with greater flexibility over their choices to ensure not only that their needs can be accommodated, but that the services are provided promptly and without delay,” Castro said.
The bill, which was an initiative of DHS, passed through the Senate Committee on Human Services Tuesday and awaits final action before the full Senate.
Page 67 of 107